Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Death of the DVD?

Hello boys and girls, and welcome to the round table. I don't know why I just said that, but I did, and you're reading it so ha! Today I want to discuss something near and dear to my heart, the DVD medium. I remember less than ten years ago, my life was changed forever... DVD's were made readily available at a store near you. You're telling me I can skip chapters, like 5 or 10 minutes at a time? You're telling me there's subtitles and multi-angles (which never works btw)? YOU, are telling ME, that there will be "extra" stuff, like behing-the-scenes footage and "making of" documentaries? Holy-shmoly! I was hooked, and here I am over a 1,000 DVD's deep and into the Blu-Ray medium.

Here's my concern, everything is headed digital, or streaming. Netflix online, or straight to a PS3 or X-Box 360 is coming. Streaming movies from their server to your system. Digital Copies of your favorite movies online, for free, and legal. Some may argue that nothing replaces the physical aspect of owning a DVD or Blu-Ray. But I'll tell you this... they said that about CD's no more than five years ago. And now, the digital downloading age is upon us. I officially have as many friends that buy CD's as they do at the iTunes store.

I have always been one to adapt to change, but these DVD's are my babies and I can't let them fall to the waste side. I can't seem to accept that some day, there will be nothing but microchips to play our movies, in full HD. I have to be OK with letting them go. But for now, I will not. I will hold my head up high and brag... about my DVD's!

No comments: