Sunday, December 27, 2009

Al Berto: "Sherlock Holmes" Quick Review


Me and “the woman” decided to spend Christmas night at the movies along with literally everyone else in LA. It was crowded, it was cold, and I was tired after a 10 hour shift at work. We had a choice between James Cameron’s Avatar, and Sherlock Holmes. We decided on Sherlock Holmes. I hadn’t seen the trailer yet, but knew a combo with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law wouldn’t make me regret forking over a ridiculous amount of dough just to see a 2 hour flick and fatten ourselves with soda and popcorn.

Sherlock Holmes was everything I was expecting and more. One of the most extraordinary things about the movie is the amount of detail that went into trying to give you the feeling you were back in the late 1800’s. The buildings, the streets, the people, the props, I was extremely pleased.

I’ve always wondered what the deal with Robert Downey Jr. was, how at one point of his life, he’s a rising star, then goes through some really bad times and then Hollywood just accepts him right back in! There’s about a million people trying to get their foot in the door. He got his chance and blew it, and now it’s as if nothing ever happened. And this movie proved to me why, because HE IS A RIDICULOUSLY AMAZING ACTOR. It reminds me when I saw Pirates of the Caribbean for the first time and was just blown away with Johnny Depp's performance. I never really cared for Depp, I’ve seen his movies in the past, and he was just another actor in my eyes, but after watching Pirates of the Caribbean, I instantly became a new fan.

The one thing I was expecting was a great story, and it fully delivered. Sherlock Holmes pays a great amount of attention to detail; you should do the same if you think you’re going to be able to predict what’s going to happen in this movie.

The one thing that did surprise me is how I thought it was going to be a fact finding movie like National Treasure. Instead there was way, way more action involved.
Go see it.

1 comment:

FattMatt said...

Al Berto,
I just watched this last night, and I completely agree with you.
This movie was fantastic.
It really made you feel like you were in that time period, and Downey Jr.'s performance was perfect, as well as Jude Law's.
The story was so well written, and like you said, great attention to detail.
Highly recommend.