Monday, December 7, 2009

Tony: My Sister's Keeper DVD review

My Sister's Keep was one of those movies I read a lot about, but never reallllly wanted to watch. I know we're late on this one, but as with many things in life, it was worth the wait. This may sound funny, coming from someone who loves movies as much as I do, but it looked too damn depressing to watch. I knew it was about a little girl who was dying, and that's about it. There was so much more to this story.

As always with AtD, we're about opinion, not plot. I will tell you this, the story is center around the character of Kate, played by Sofia Vassilieva. Kate is a teenage girl dying of leukemia. Her mother (played by Cameron Diaz) is desperate to keep her alive at all costs. Diaz's character is married to Jason Patric, who is terrific in this film, and very underrated in Hollywood. The story arc centers around Kate's sister, Anna, played by Abigail Breslin. Anna has had five operations in her short life, trying to help save her older sister.

The film does something rarely seen anymore, shows you the ugly side of people, but still makes you care about them. Every character in the movie is good, deep down inside. But Kate's illness has brought out the worst in everyone. Her mother is a crazy person, determined to keep her alive. Her parents barely know each other because they are so preoccupied with her illness. Kate's little brother, played by Evan Ellingson (also great in the film), has been neglected since he was a child due to her illness.

The movie is directed by Nick Cassavetes who also directed such films as Alpha Dog, The Notebook and John Q. There are a lot of flashbacks and flash forwards in order for the audience to see Kate before she was sick, during her illness, and her later days. Every member of the family has a narrative in the film, which is great to see everyone's perspective of the family's situation.

The star of the show is by far Abigail Breslin. This little girl had my wife and I in tears during multiple scenes in the film. She commands attention for every scene she is in, and you truly forget her age, she's only 13 years old! Diaz was really the only negative for me in the film, I didn't buy the whole "bitchy mom" act. She's played too many goody good girls to make us believe she could be "evil". As I said earlier, Jason Patric is great and I wish we saw more of him in Hollywood. He had a nice co-starring role this season on Entourage which was fun to watch. And Sofia Vassilieva may not win an Oscar for her role as the sick daughter, but she will earn great recognition. I would say this is a movie definitely worth watching. Just have a box of Kleenex ready.

No comments: