Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Tony: Kick-Ass review

Sorry for the delay everyone, but I've been a bit busy with the family business to be online blogging. So here it is, the Return of the King... my review of the comic-book film, Kick-Ass.

I know at this point I'm being redundant but, our blog is more about opinion than plot. Let's get right into what I liked and didn't like about the movie... let me give you a heads up, my likes far outweigh my dislikes!

What I liked:
The Concept/Story
The story is simple, but enticing. It tells the story of a kid who chooses to dress up as a superhero and fight crime against a Mob boss. Craziness ensues when the superhero (Kick-Ass) is joined by Big Daddy (Nicolas Cage) and Hit Girl (ChloĆ« Grace Moretz). Like I said, the story is simple, very funny, and kept the audience engaged for the entire movie. I loved the pace of the film. It only slowed down to build up the characters, which is great. The rest of the time the movie moved forward very well. 

The Characters
Ho-ly moly! Hit Girl is one of the best, most bad ass characters in the history of cinema, and she's only 11 years old!!! That's right, Chloƫ Grace Moretz is only 11 years old calling people names that I'VE never used before. Nicolas Cage is awesome in this movie! He has to be tough, weird, a little creepy, but loving to his daughter, amazing job. Finally a movie OTHER than National Treasure where he does well. There is a scene between Cage and Moretz that is one I will never forget, just a hint... it involves him training her using a gun! I wont say anything else because it will give away the hilarity of the situation.

Now when it comes to Kick-Ass himself, great casting and a great job by Aaron Johnson. The rest of the cast is rounded out with some great performances... the mob boss played by Mark Strong, Red Mist played by Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Kick-Ass's real world friends played by Clark Duke and Evan Peters.

The Action
The action is great. The violence is over the top, but I think it has to be. You're trying to make us believe an 11 year old can kill 30 guys in a run down the hall, why not be over the top? Guns, check. Knives, check. Swords, check. There is nothing missing from the action in this film. Pay attention to an action scene that involves Nicolas Cage that feels like one long cut up and down a two story building, just fantastic!

What I didn't like:
Screen Time
Not really a complaint so much as wishing. I wish Nicolas Cage was in the movie more! Yeah, I never thought I'd say that either! Cage is so good as this character! I know this section is about what I didn't like, but I really really liked the movie. There's nothing else I could think of!

Go see this movie! And be ready for a ride. You'll laugh, you'll cheer and you'll clap your way through the movie. It's the most fun I've had at a movie since Iron Man two years ago; I mean it!

No comments: