Tuesday, May 4, 2010

X-Men First Class get's a director and a release date


Matthew Vaughn director of Kick-Ass, has been tapped to take on the X-Men. In a prequel of sorts, X-Men First Class will focus on the first class at Professor Xavier's school for the gifted.

Based on the first 8 issues of the 2006 comic books, the line up of mutants include the following: Angel, Beast, Cyclops, Iceman, Jean Grey and Professor X.

I think Fox is planning on creating a totally new franchise independent of the first trilogy of X-Men films. I say this because the studio is already planning a fourth film in the 2000-2006 franchise.

I've already told you how much I enjoyed Vaughn's Kick-Ass; so I love this move by Fox. I can't wait to see Vaughn's take on the X-Men. I don't think it will take itself as seriously as the Hugh Jackman starring franchise, and I don't think it should. This is a younger group of heroes who haven't come into their own yet.

The studio also announced the movie would be released next year! That's right, June 2011 is the tentative release date. What do you guys think about the news?

The picture above was provided by Deviant Art, and created by "Apollorising". Check out the artist's other work here.

No comments: