Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"Superman" Rumors: Natalie Portman as Lois Lane and Darren Aronofsky Directing?


Tony Scott (Man on Fire), Matt Reeves (Cloverfield), Duncan Jones (Moon), Zack Snyder (300) and Jonathan Liebesman (Battle: Los Angeles). What do they all have in common? They were all announced last week as being in the running to direct the new Superman film! Not a bad list to be on, huh? Especially when it's Christopher Nolan who's considering you to direct a film about one of the most recognizable characters in the history of man. Then the LA Times added another name into the hat, Darren Aronofsky (The Wrestler).

Now six names, and who should it be? Zack,"I can make amazing super-hero movies" Snyder, that's who! I am a huge fan of the man's work. 300 is a classic, as well as Watchmen. He knows how to direct big-budget action films that still care about character development. He would be perfect for the job.

I've never kept my hatred for Superman Returns a secret. I love director Bryan Singer, but the movie was awful. Just awful! So we need a director who will care more about the action than paying homage to Richard Donner's 1978 Superman film. I think Snyder is the man for the job.

The next rumor is about Natalie Portman playing Lois Lane. Not to bash on Superman Returns again, but Kate Bosworth was awful and terribly miscast in the film. So I guess I'm OK with Portman playing the famous reporter. But I think this rumor only came about because of the Aronofsky rumor. Aronofsky just worked with Portman on Black Swan, so the two have experience together.

I doubt Portman will do it though. She's working in the superhero realm in the upcoming Thor. I don't really care about the Lois Lane casting before a director is brought on board. And hopefully that director is Snyder!

No comments: