Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"Iron Man 2" DVD Review

Iron Man 2 was obviously one of the biggest movies of the summer/year in 2010. Director Jon Favreau and star Robert Downey Jr. are back for another go. Let's just say we covered it A LOT here at AtD. As a huge fan of the first film, I expected a lot out of the sequel, and have to be honest, was a bit disappointed. For my original review, go here. What I'm going to do now is give some additional insight that I've seen it multiple times, and talk about the Blu-Ray.

As far as my review, I still feel the same way about my "likes." The writing, the villains, the action are all still pretty awesome. The sequel contained what worked in the first film and improved on them. The writing was great in both films; quick, witty and smart. The villains were much better in the sequel (as far as depth), more unique and visually better than the first. And of course, the action was improved upon, big time.
The "likes" are the same, but the "dislikes" are even more of a dislike now that I've seen the movie a couple of times. The second act of the movie is God-awfully slow. There is nearly nothing going on in the middle of the movie and the pace is paralyzing. I wrote about the "misused acting," and boy was I right. Don Cheadle is a wonderful actor, but it just didn't show in Iron Man 2. Watching it again made me wish Terrance Howard was signed for the sequel. There is zero chemistry between Downey Jr. and Cheadle.

And worst of all is the abrupt, horrible climax that did not justify the earlier action sequences. This is immediately following the never-ending chase scene with the droids. Jeez Louise.

Now the special features. I give them a 7/10. There is a nice 'making of' that was satisfying and insightful. The featurettes are fun, and again, give an insider look to the making-of. I also liked the concept art involved in making the movie.

I bought the 2 Disc Special Edition Blu-Ray. There is a 1 Disc Blu-Ray as well as a DVD. Enjoy the film.

No comments: