Saturday, January 8, 2011

Joe Johnson Apologizes for "Wolfman," Explains His Prep on "Captain America"

Who saw the Wolfman by Joe Johnson? It was a disaster to say the least. I was sort of surprised he got Captain America after the disaster that was Wolfman. There was rumor after rumor about the quality of the film, onset fights, etc. Well, I saw the film and am a bit sad. Sad because I know it could have been so much more. The actors were in place (Benicio Del Toro, Sir Anthony Hopkins and Emily Blunt). The style Johnson was shooting for was unique and modern, but the story fell so flat no one cared what the movie looked like.

So Johnson is now apologizing for the movie, and basically taking the blame. This is from Joblo via ComicBookMovie. Read the excerpts and my thoughts after the jump.
Here is Johnson's explanation as to why he took the movie and what little time he had to prep:
I had three weeks of prep on WOLFMAN, a ridiculously inadequate amount of time to try to bring together the fractured and scattered pieces of the production. I had taken the job mostly because I had a cash flow problem, the only time in my career I’ve ever let finances enter into the decision process.

Money is always the wrong reason for doing something that requires passionate devotion. The production was a leaky, rudderless ship in a perfect storm suffering from bad decisions, infighting, reluctance of the powers-that-be to take responsibility, and too many under-qualified cooks in the kitchen. The good news and bad news about directing is that when the picture works you’re showered with all the credit and when it doesn’t work you’re dumped on with all the blame. Both scenarios are undeserved. I take full responsibility for THE WOLFMAN not working because it goes with the territory.
He's correct in one thing... money should never ever be a motivator for an artist! I say it SHOULD never, but we all know too well it often times is the ONLY motivator for an artist. If he really only had three weeks to prep, I can see why the movie turned out the way that it did. There was no time to brush up the script or anything like that. So he's taken the blame for Wolfman, what about Captain America: The First Avenger? Rest assured, here's what Johnson had to say about good 'ol Cap:
I had thirty weeks of prep on CAPTAIN AMERICA. I have a small team of qualified, supportive, creative producers who are actually helping me achieve my vision of the film. I had a dream cast headed by Chris Evans. I had the best designers, artists, sculptors, craftspeople…a creative team that could design, build and photograph anything and have it look amazing and beautiful. We had unbelievable luck with the weather wherever we shot in England. The weather was so good we were compelled to make it rain for a couple of sequences just for some variety. At times I felt as if the gods were saying, “Ahem, sorry about that wolfman thing…let us make it up to you.” CAPTAIN AMERICA was probably the most universally positive experience I’ve had in this mad business.
This is somewhat good news. He had a lot of time to prep, etc. etc. But that doesn't mean anything. People have a year to prep and the movie could still turn out poorly. I'm not jumping on Johnson's case to be mean, I'm just saying ample time preparing for a movie doesn't necessarily guarantee a great film. What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

FattMatt said...

"Wolfman" was HORRIBLE.