Monday, January 24, 2011

Love & Other Drugs review... I want 2 hours of my life back!

When your married, or in a committed relationship for that matter, your significant other makes you go see films you otherwise wouldn't be caught dead watching.  This was one of those films.  Jake Gyllenhaal is a womanizing prescription drug salesman.  He's shallow and sleeps around.  Anne Hathaway is a young woman with a rare case of Parkinsons disease.  She wants to keep it casual and so does Gyllenhaal's character... at first.  This is going to be a short review because if the actors and filmmakers weren't going to try their best, neither am I.

What I liked about the film:
Oliver Platt and Hank Azaria
It's a pretty good indicator what a movie is going to be like when the best thing about it is the screen time of two supporting actors.  Oliver Platt is Gyllenhaal's mentor at Pfizer drugs.  Hand Azaria is a doctor who Gyllenhaal tries to sell his prescription drugs to.  Platt is hilarious and is the same character he always plays, but I like it.  Azaria is so diverse I bought he was a womanizing doctor who really cared for his patients.  Great job.


What I didn't like about the film:
Its Stars
Everyone on here knows I dislike Anne Hathaway very much!  Jake Gyllenhaal is not very much behind in my book.  They both phoned in their performances.  Ho, hum, the movie was dumb.

The Writing
Typical "chick flick" fashion.  Predictable, even though they attempted the unpredictable.  So stupid.  Hathaway doesn't want to get involved with anyone because she's worried she'll get attached.  At first Gyllenhaal is in it just for the sex, but later wants more.  As his career improves, his personal life goes down the tank.  Who cares? 

The Director
Edward Zwick should just chalk this one up to a loss.  He's too good a damn director to be involved in crap like this.  He's made such classics as Defiance, Blood Diamon, The Last Samurai, The Seige, and Legends of the Fall.  Wow, that's an amazing resume and hopefully this film can be shrugged off. 

The verdict:
Horrible
There was not a memorable moment in the film.  I left the theater wondering how on Earth I got conned into watching it.  I didn't have an interest in the film whatsoever.  We never covered it on the blog, and rightfully so.  ARRG!  I'm so mad I wasted my time watching this instead of Black Swan!  The timing was just too late for Black Swan and a man's got work in the morning.  Speaking of which, goodnight!

No comments: