Sunday, February 27, 2011

UPDATE: Sommers out, 3 finalist to direct G.I. Joe sequel

UPDATE: Chu has been chosen to direct.  I hate the notion that the same guy who directed a Justin Bieber documentary will be directing a G.I. Joe film.  Stupid.  That is all.





Wait a second.  Wasn't Stephen Sommers quoted as saying he began work on a sequel to G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra?  The answer is yes.  We all thought he was coming back despite all the documented tension between him and the studio, Paramount.  Well, forget allllllllllll that, he's out.  I wont even tell you the b.s. comments by both parties because there's no substance to any of it.  They're both trying to play nice.  I liked the movie, a lot.  It was the summer or a bunch of bad movies, but G.I. Joe was entertaining, despite all the negative reviews.  Click here to read my original review.

Love or hate the first film, here are the three directors up for the sequel:

Jaume Collet-Serra 
He's got Unknown coming out this week and has a short, yet nice resume under his belt.  He directed Orphan and Goal II: Living The Dream.  If anything, he has a knack for action.  Based solely on the trailers to Unknown, the man can shoot action sequences.  Then again we all know better than to trust a trailer.  We'll see about this young man.





F. Gary Gray
My pick to take on the franchise.  He is the veteran among this trio and should be a strong candidate.  With action thrillers under his belt like The Italian Job and Law Abiding Citizen, he knows what he's doing.  I'm a huge fan of those two films as well as some others that Gray has directed.  Again, he has my vote.





Jon Chu
The head scratcher in the trio is Chu.  Step Up 2 and Step Up 3D, the hell?  Justin Douche Bager: Never Say Never?  You wonder where these rumors come from sometimes.  I read it on /Slashfilm so you know there's at least a little validity to the story.  I don't want to give Chu directing much thought, so I'll stop. 

Let's all hope Gray gets the job!

No comments: