Thursday, March 17, 2011

Darren Aronofsky leaving The Wolverine

I remember it like yesterday.  First the director was just a rumor.  Then it was confirmed.  Then the title of the film was official... The Wolverine!  And now?  Well, now that same director is jumping ship.  Darren Aronofsky has left the sequel to X-Men Origins: Wolverine.  Here is the quote Aronofsky gave about leaving the project:
As I talked more about the film with my collaborators at Fox, it became clear that the production of ‘The Wolverine’ would keep me out of the country for almost a year. I was not comfortable being away from my family for that length of time. I am sad that I won't be able to see the project through, as it is a terrific script and I was very much looking forward to working with my friend, Hugh Jackman, again.
Click the jump for more...
I don't buy that ish for ONE minute!  He didn't know an action picture of this size and scope was going to take a year of his life?  Really?  He's a rookie director?  He must not know how these things work huh?  Get the uh out of uh.  C'mon.  Maybe the studio didn't like the direction he was heading with one of their tent pole films?  Wouldn't be the first Wolverine featured films that that happens with.  The studio fought director Gavin Hood repeatedly about the direction of the first 'Origins' film.  Maybe I'm upset at the news, but I don't think so.

Here's what the studio, Fox, had to say about it:
While we are of course disappointed that Darren can’t do ‘The Wolverine’, we also understand and respect his reasons. Having done both ‘The Wrestler’ and ‘Black Swan’ with Darren, we know he is an extraordinary talent and we look forward to working with him on other projects in the future. Hugh Jackman and Fox both remain fully committed to making ‘The Wolverine’. We will regroup and move forward aggressively.

Interesting.  

I've always been a fan of Aronofsky's visual style... until Black Swan. I don't really want to get into that film because that's neither here nor there.  I don't care that Aronofsky is leaving even though his vision would have been an interesting one.  So who directs it now?  Your thoughts?

No comments: