Saturday, March 12, 2011

Joseph Gordon-Levitt & Marion Cotillard in The Dark Knight Rises?

There are a couple of The Dark Knight Returns news/rumors I wanted to tell everyone about.  Both have to do with casting and both are very interesting.  The first is very interesting.  Joseph Gordon-Levitt has been cast in the film.  It's a bit old news too, but I was waiting for the character to be announced, which it hasn't been yet.  There are a bunch of characters JGL could be playing, but this will reunite him with Director Christopher Nolan, and co-star Tom Hardy, who has been cast as Bane. 

I like JGL a lot and think he will do well no matter who he plays.  My guess at this point is Dr. Hugo Strange.  Strange is an evil doctor who conducts inhumane tests on the prisoners of Arkham Asylum.  But, most of the fan sites think he'll play Alberto Falcone, son of Carmine Falcone who was portrayed by Tom Wilkinson in Batman Begins.  Hold that thought, and let me tell you the next bit of casting rumor.

So we have the same director and 2 stars of Inception in this upcoming Batman film.  Make that 3 stars?  The latest rumor is that Marion Cotillard is joining the cast!  This is great!  I love her, I think she is stunningly beautiful and an amazing actress at that.  It is just rumor mind you.  But I love who she is rumored to play!

A few months ago, I wrote about all the possible actresses that were auditioning for the movie and what roles they were up for.  One of the roles rumored was that of Talia al Ghul, the daughter of Ras al Ghul.  Ras was played by Liam Neeson in Batman Begins.  Do you see where I'm going with this? 

We've been hearing that this is the last Nolan Batman film; and that it will bring Bruce Wayne's story full circle.  So having the children of two villains in Batman Begins come into the fold makes sense.  The son of Falcone and the daughter of al Ghul plotting revenge sounds intriguing.  There's one really big problem, too many villains!

We've seen this over and over again in comic book movies.  All of this is rumor, but if it's true, 4 villains (can't forget about Catwoman and Bane), are too much.  I have no doubt in my mind Nolan will make an amazing movie, but let's hope its done in a way that it doesn't become Spider-Man 3 or Batman & Robin.  We'll see, but I am exciting by the casting that is happening on The Dark Knight Rises.

No comments: