Friday, May 6, 2011

Little Fockers DVD review

There were two major releases this week on DVD and blu-ray; the first was The Green Hornet.  The second was Little Fockers, starring Ben Stiller and Robert De Niro in the third film in the franchise.  I am a big fan of the first film, Meet the Parents.  It did so many things right, it was really refreshing.  The second film, Meet the Fockers, wasn't the best in movie history, but still good.  It introduced Barbra Streisand and Dustin Hoffman in hilarious roles.  Now, Little Fockers, oh boy, here we go.

What I liked about the movie:
Barbra Streisand and Dustin Hoffman
There was a bunch of drama prior to the movie being shot about whether Dustin Hoffman would even be in the movie.  Then there were reshoots for his character.  Let me start by saying that, Streisand and Hoffman are in the movie for a total of about three minutes.  So the movie is so bad that the parts making up 5% of the movie are the only things I enjoyed in the film.  They're funny, loveable Fockers and scored points for me.

What I didn't like about the movie:
Jessica (I'm a terrible actress) Alba
Wow.  And that's not a positive wow, that's a "wow, how the hell is this woman making money for this".  Alba is a terrible actress in general, but this movie... this movie takes the cake as her worse.  She is about as bad as Anne Hathaway as an Oscar host, THAT bad.  She's overzealous, annoying, disingenuous and down right bad.  Her character could have been a breath of fresh air, but she phoned in her performance just like the rest of the cast.

The rest of the cast
The movie has become the definition of a "paycheck" in Hollywood.  Robert De Niro made fun of himself while accepting an award, referencing his performance in Little Fockers.  This man is a two-time Oscar winner?  "The God-Focker"?  Really?  What the F happened to the Godfather!?!?!  Whoa.  Ben Stiller tries his best but can't duplicate the success of the previous two films.

Teri Polo is wasted completely as a stay at home mom.  And most importantly, the little Fockers themselves... not very good child actors.  In fact, they don't do much.  The only reason they're in the film is to have a reason to bring DeNiro and Stiller together.  Wow, so bad.  I also don't want to forget Owen Wilson in what will surely be one of his worse movies in... the next year or so ;o)

The story
I don't want to spend more than a sentence or two on this.  The little Fockers are turning five, and everyone is invited.  Much like the second film where DeNiro suspects that Stiller has a son, in this movie he suspects Stiller of cheating with Alba's character.  I'll let you all figure out the rest.


The DVD:
Lots of options, very little substance
The list of features is pretty long, but not many that I cared for.  Here are all the special features:
Alternate Opening: Wedding Dream and Morning Wakeup
Alternate Ending: Treehouse
Deleted Scenes
Gag Reel
The Making of A Godfocker: Behind the Scenes of Little Fockers
Bout Time
The Focker Foot Locker

I liked the making of featurette, but that was pretty much it. The rest is a ways of space on the DVD.


The verdict:
Skip it entirely
I know I sound harsh, but it's bad, really really bad.  I always defend films that are bashed on by the critics.  But with a 9% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, we can't all be wrong!

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Just got my check for $500.

Sometimes people don't believe me when I tell them about how much you can earn by taking paid surveys online...

So I show them a video of myself actually getting paid over $500 for paid surveys to set the record straight once and for all.