Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Adjustment Bureau DVD review


It's Tuesday, and if you're a movie fan like me, you're probably going to head to your local electronic store and pick up a movie or two.  Today, the new release is The Adjustment Bureau, starring Matt Damon and Emily Blunt, directed by George Nolfi.  The movie is about choosing your own destiny, even as others try to stand in your way.

Matt Damon is an up and coming politician, he meets Emily Blunt's character by chance and it threatens to redirect his future.  The adjustment bureau steps in to keep the two apart to ensure Damon's future is what they want it to be.  It's the battle of free will against destiny.  Let's get right in to the likes and dislikes.

What I liked about the movie:
The Actors
Matt Damon is, and has been considered a great talent in Hollywood for years now.  He is versatile and dynamic, he can do it all.  Emily Blunt is also a respected actor in Hollywood.  I really enjoy her work anytime I see her in something.  The two have a great chemistry together.  As an audience, we can easily see why the two characters are attracted to each other.

There is enough to make the audience believe the two should stick together while eluding the adjustment bureau. 

The Premise
I enjoyed the idea that a bureau of men wanted to change the course of Damon's life.  It was interesting to see how they could bend the rules if you will, to make Damon stay the course they wanted him to.  The premise is one thing, unfortunately, the execution is far off.  I'm not really sure how the movie scored a 70+% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but it did.  Let me begin my list of dislikes. 


What I didn't like about the movie:
The Adjustment Bureau staff
They're mobsters?  No wait, Government agents?  Angles perhaps (more on that later)?  Who are these annoy ass guys that can't catch a politician and his girlfriend in a foot race.  My main problem is they never really came off like a threat.  I was thinking to myself, I would do whatever I want in that situation and not listen to them.  There was nothing to fear.


The Religious Implications
I don't consider myself a religious man by any means, nor do I balk at a movies with religious themes; but this movie was just too much.  It was a mess.  The script intended on giving winks about the implications, but it just becomes so blatantly obvious what they're trying to reference, it has no payoff.  I disliked all of it; the destiny, the people-angels reference, all that nonsense.

The Doors
I seriously thought I was watching a live-action Monsters Inc.  The doors are a huge part of the film.  I don't want to give away any spoilers, but the doors are used to basically teleport the main characters from one place to another.  The heroes use the doors in their plot against the adjustment bureau.  The storyline doesn't work at all.  Visually, they pulled off the effect, but it just about ends there. 


The Verdict:
Watch Monsters Inc. or Serendipity instead
Exactly what the title says.  Monsters Inc. uses the "door trick" in a much more creative way than this film does.  Monsters Inc. was an animated film, fine, but it was a lot more creative than this trip to church.  I'd much rather have put my DVD of Monsters Inc. in than The Adjustment Bureau.  Just saying.

And if you want to ditch the "thriller" aspect of facing destiny, and turn it in for a romantic comedy version instead, rent Serendipity.  It stars John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale as a couple that are destined to be together.  It's much better than this film.  Trust me.


The Blu-ray/DVD combo:
Fans of the movie will love it
If you liked the film, you'll like the features.  Here is a list from Bluray.com:


  • Feature Commentary by Writer-Director George Nolfi. This is a somewhat haltingly delivered, but overall interesting, commentary that gives a goodly amount of background information on adapting the Dick story as well as the filming, including the rigors of all the location work in New York City.
  • Deleted and Extended Scenes (HD; 6:54). Seven scenes are included, several with a supposedly comic Adjustment Bureau character named Henderson who was completely cut out of the final film.
  • Labyrinth of Doors (HD; 33:57 total). This interesting but cumbersome supplement starts with a Google Earth map of Manhattan, with several Adjustment Bureau doors highlighted. Clicking on any door then zooms to a close-up of that location, with a "wormhole" option that takes you to another (often far flung) door, or allows you to view either a film clip or a behind the scenes segment associated with that location.
  • Leaping Through New York (1080i; 7:36) is a nice featurette dealing with the location shooting in The Big Apple.
  • Destined to Be (1080i; 4:51) has Damon and Blunt talking about their characters and the film's central love story.
  • Becoming Elise (1080i; 7:08) should appeal to those who wonder if Blunt had any dancing experience before she took on this role.
  • DVD Copy, Dbox and BD Live Enabled
I don't know what else to say really.  I didn't like the film (that's MY free will at work), and I'm willing to discuss it with anyone who did.  Let me know what you thought of the film?

For fun, just to make me smile

2 comments:

motorcycle decals said...

You created a great post with excellent information, i learnt a lot of stuff from this article.

Anonymous said...

Just wondered.
Did philip k dick write about the doors?
'cause ,you know, dick comes before lasseter... And who knows what he reads?