Sunday, June 19, 2011

Russell Crowe as Superman's dad? Maybe

The title pretty much gives it away, but I'll repeat.  Russell Crowe may play Jor El, Superman's biological father in The Man of Steel.  The movie will of course be directed by Zack Snyder and star Henry Cavill as the caped hero.

The role was originally played by the legendary Marlon Brando in the Richard Donner film, Superman: The Movie.  For those who don't know Superman's origin story (living under a rock much?), here's how it goes:  Jor El is the father or Kal El, an infant boy.  When their home planet of Krypton is threatened, Jor El sends his only son away from harm in a spaceship.  The spaceship lands in Smallville, where Jonathan and Martha Kent adopt the infant, name him Clark, and raise him to be Superman.  Pretty cool right?

This casting news really surprised me.  It's not that I disapprove or anything, I just never really pictured Russell Crowe in a superhero film.  But after thinking about it a bit, I really like it.  I could see him being the commanding figure needed to lead the people of Krypton as well as a sensible father to the future Man of Steel.  Instead of who likes this casting choice, I suppose a better question is, who hates the idea? 

No comments: