Monday, August 15, 2011

Horrible Bosses review... it's as good as you've heard

Jason Batmen, Jason Sudeikis and Kevin Spacey?  Sold!  Is there a story more relate-able than this?  Sort of.  How many of us have had a jerk for a boss?  A lot of us I'm sure.  Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis and Charlie Day are dealing with just that in Horrible Bosses.  Kevin Spacey, Jennifer Aniston and Colin Farrell respectively, play their bosses.  Let's begin!

What I liked about the film:
The Cast
I kind of gave this away in the intro huh?  The cast is terrific.  Bateman is the "leader" of the crew plays a smart ass who has worked really hard to get ahead at work.  But Spacey, who is as mean as ever, blocks Bateman's promotion.  Jason Sudeikis is a loveable loser who is actually pretty good with the ladies.  His boss is played by coke addict, sex crazed, Collin Farrell... who is terrific in this.  It's nice to see him come back after a few bombs in Hollywood.  Charlie Day plays the neurotic guy with a sexually abusive boss, played by Jennifer Aniston.

The tension between the guys and their bosses is great.  You can imagine all the comedy that ensues with these three pairs.  The really funny stuff happens when the trio sets out on their mission...

The Story
Simple, stupid and insane.  That is pretty much the story.  But in a good way.  The three friends set out to kill each others.  They're not tough enough to do it themselves, so they employ the help of a "consultant".  Great stuff.

The Outcome
Totally a sub-point to "The Story", but I wanted to talk about it anyway.  The story has a great ending that ties everything together.  It does a nice job of wrapping up all the chaos so we don't leave the theater with any questions about "what happened"?  Can't really elaborate without giving anything away, just watch the movie!  We don't talk plot on this blog.


What I didn't like about the film:
Unnecessary Characters
Jamie Foxx plays the trio's murder consultant.  While I am a fan of Jaime Foxx, his character didn't REALLY add anything to the story.  There are funny instances between the guys and Foxx, but again, I think the movie does fine without him.  And then there is the stunning Julie Bowen.  She is of course Claire from TV's "Modern Family".  It's too bad the director wasted her talent, she's barely in the movie!  If the characters aren't going to add anything to the film, get rid of them.  The character Bowen plays is vital to the story, but could have been one of those characters you never see, they're just referenced, and it would have been just as good. 


The Verdict:
Loved It!
You know, sometimes I get criticized for being TOO critical.  I don't think that's fair.  I'm not a critic, I'm not a journalist, I just write about what movies I like and what movies I don't like.  Sometimes it's a simple, fun movie like Horrible Bosses that can totally brighten my day.  It was simple, had a wonderful cast, and had a lot of crazy comedy.  There were a few little things I didn't enjoy, but for the most part, it was a great change of pace from the Summer of Superheros!  Go see it and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Robert Mchammel said...

what are you talking about Mother Fucker jones was the most memerable "not important" character in any movie i have ever seen!! and he was needed becuz as you had said in your summary of the movie they hire a "consultant" obvi a necessary aspect to the movie!! thought i would give my two cents

Tony Sayegh said...

What I'm saying is, if he's in the movie... make him a more prominent character. If Foxx isn't in the movie, the guys could come up with his stupid ideas on their own. AtD bro :o)