Friday, March 2, 2012

Guest review: Wanderlust


This is my first post on this site and I think it’s important that you know my qualifications for writing on a movie blog. I am what you call an indoors type of guy. While many of my friends have grown into well rounded adults that enjoy lives of working hard and having outdoor excursions with friends on the weekends I have shielded myself from such activities. As such I am almost painfully pale. I have whatever the opposite of a sunburn is. That’s how much I love watching movies.

What I liked about the film:
The Writer/Story
Wanderlust is written by David Wain, and he is awesome. If you do not yet share this belief then go watch all of his other movies or stop being stupid. The writer of “Wet Hot American Summer” and “Role Models” seems to ride the line between normal life and complete absurdity with an ease that lulls you into states of normalcy then gives you an ice cream headache of weird. It’s highly enjoyable. This story had maybe one cliché in it. It has to do with communes and married people and that’s all the ruining of the movie I’m going to do. All in all a fun but not great story that will feel familiar to many people in the pre-middle age portion of life.

The Director
Wain was also the Director but it’s harder to evaluate him here as much of the film was obviously improvised. Paul Rudd gets the best scene in the film in a blaze of improvised glory that is so good I could type out the whole thing here on the page and you would still want to go and watch him do it. Yeah, that good. So I guess I will say the direction was good in that it didn’t get in the way of the actors and their own amazing performances.

The Costars and Cameos
There is a section for actors just below this but seeing as this is a comedy the smaller roles can often steal the film. While many of the one line parts in this movie are wonderful none of them can stake a claim to stealing the film. The most impressive performances come from two comedy partners who have recently launched a great sketch show on Comedy Central. Keegan Michael-Key and Jordan Peele. They aren’t on screen together at all during the film but they are both excellent in their own right and Peele has some amazing material that shows up in the blooper reel after the credits.

The Actors
Paul Rudd and Jennifer Anniston play the leads with Anniston once again dusting off her old Rachel schtick. She has started to remind me of Zoolander in that no matter how many different kinds of characters she plays they all look the same. “ BLUE RACHEL”. The rest of the cast will look familiar to comedy fans as it is full of great actors who have appeared in other Wain films and tv shows. The only one who was hard to spot was Joe Lo Truglio who is naked throughout the film and has a beautiful penis.


What I didn't like about the film:
The Sitcom Feeling
The movie does start to feel like a very long sitcom at some points. While it is a sitcom of the highest quality it is still a sitcom. The plot felt a little stale and by the end you can see the plot twists before the forks appear in the road but for a comedy it does a more than adequate job.


The Verdict:
I loved it
Very funny movie, and when it comes down to it I am not looking for much more than that from a comedy. Also Justin Theroux is now awesome. Check the date and time and notate that in your journals.

Contributed by Ben Weddell.  Creative Director of Aberrant Behaviors, Chico, CA.

No comments: