Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Mirror Mirror review; let's hope the OTHER Snow White movie is better


Since both trailers debuted, Mirror Mirror played second fiddle to Snow White and the Huntsmen for me.  But, I kept an open mind and decided to give the movie a shot at an early screener.  Mirror Mirror is of course the live-action retelling of the classic story, Snow White.  Lily Collins won the role of the pale faced princess, Armie Hammer plays the dashing prince; and the lovely Julia Roberts plays the evil queen.  The movie was directed by Tarsem Singh (Immortals).


What I liked about the film:
The Design/Costumes
The set pieces in the film are very impressive.  You can tell a bulk of the budget went to making beautiful sets for the actors to work in.  The costumes were just as impressive.  Every actor looked great on screen.  The costumes helped to mold the actors into their character.  Ready for this; my favorite part of the movie was the opening credit animation!  Visually stunning and artistically done, it reminds me a lot of the animation in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1.  Kudos!


What I didn't like about the film:
Story
A very short list of likes should foreshadow the rest of this review.  Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwards holds a VERY special place in my heart.  It is the first movie I ever saw in a theater.  As a 5 year old little boy, I was blown away.  The story was fun, exciting, scary and emotional.  It took me to a place I would spend the rest of my life wanted to return to... movieland.  Mirror Mirror has an awful excuse of a story.  The evil queen is really the evil step-mother.  Snow White is cast out of the castle, only to join the 'band of giants'... the dwarfs.  The evil queen tries to marry a prince to help her financial dilemma.  Ouff.  I don't want to say anything else, the story was stupid.

Where's the originality?
The movie had little to no originality.  If, and I do mean IF, you're going to remake, reboot, redo, whatever you want to call it... if you're going to remake a film, bring something new to the table.  21 Jump Street is a prime example of the RIGHT way to do it.  Mirror Mirror is not.  There was nothing new except some minor variations to the story and new names for the seven dwarfs.  I did however like the way they wove the dreaded apple into the film.  Clever, but too little too late.

Characters
I liked one actor/character in the entire movie... the hilarious Nathan Lane.  He plays the queens loyal, albeit abused, servant.  In a completely packed theater, made up of both children and adults, he was the sole provider of laughs in the movie.  Literally, I did not like a single other character.  To be fair, the actors tried.  Roberts was her wonderful self, and played the role as sincerely as she could.  Hammer too played the part with sincerity.  The stand out is Lily Collins who is downright wrong for the role.  If she doesn't get us to even like the character, why would we care what happens to her?  The last thing I will say is, I didn't buy there was ANY chemistry between Collins and Hammer.

The Director
This guy amazes me.  Movies like The Cell and Immortals prove he can direct a visually stunning film; and we got just that with Mirror Mirror.  But all three of those films lack any true story telling.  All three had unlikable characters.  There's more.  The editing, pacing, score, everything about this man's choices was bad to me.


The Verdict:
Cheesefest
Dear lord, I haven't seen a cheesefest like this since the 1960's Batman television series.  This version is so campy, again, it's a pointless remake.  If you're going to remake a movie as beloved as Disney's animated classic Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, it better be damn good!  I don't have anything else to say.  Except... I hated this movie.

No comments: