Sunday, October 14, 2012

UPDATE: Quickie: Shailene Woodley could be cast as Mary Jane Watson in The Amazing Spider-Man sequel

UPDATE:  It's now official; Shailene Woodley will play Mary Jane Watson in both 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' and '3'.  I'm happy, how about you all?

Shailene Woodley is a beautiful young actress and has an extensive resume. But I have to admit, the only thing I've seen her in was the Oscar hopeful film, The Descendants starring George Clooney. I absolutely loved her performance and even made note of it in my review of the picture. She was even nominated for a Golden Globe.

This weekend brought news that Woodley might be cast as Mary Jane Watson in the sequel to this Summer's hit, The Amazing Spider-Man. Many of us know the character from the popular comic book series, as well as the Sam Raimi directed trilogy of films. In that trilogy, the character was played by Kristin Dunst (whose acting I am not fond of at all).

I'm very pleased with the addition of Woodley and think she'll fit perfectly into the world director Marc Webb has created (Webb has been officially signed on to direct the sequel).  IF... if they do something completely different from the Raimi trilogy.  The Mary Jane character in that trilogy was utterly pointless and was a damsel in distress in all three films.  She added nothing for me (I'm bias because of my distaste for Dunst).

While I'm not the biggest fan of the character, I am of the actress.  With the younger cast of Andrew Garfield (Peter Parker/Spider-Man) and Emma Stone (Gwen Stacey), Woodley will do great. Once it's official I'll update you. What do you think?

No comments: