Friday, November 2, 2012

Francis Lawrence directing The Hunter Games: Catching Fire AND the two part Mockingjay



This blogger very much enjoyed the first Hunger Games film.  And while I thought it could have been better, I am anticipating part two of four next year.  I was hoping Gary Ross would return to direct the sequel, but that is not going to happen.  In fact, Francis Lawrence has been hired to replace Ross.  It's been known for a while that Lawrence would direct The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.  But check out this gem...

Lawrence will ALSO direct The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, which will be split into two films.  Four films.  That is a lot of time and energy, pretty much back to back, on The Hunger Games trilogy.  That alone is the reason Ross dropped out of the sequels.  He didn't want to tie himself down to the franchise for the next four or five years.

I am a HUGE fan of Francis Lawrence.  Constantine, I Am Legend, and Water for Elephants are some great films.  He can do it all.  And if you look at just the three films I've listed, they sort have all lead up to a trilogy with the popularity of The Hunger Games.  He'll need to know how to direct action, adventure, loneliness and romance; all of which are a part of the trilogy of books.  This reminds me of David Yates directing the last four Harry Potter films, and it turned out great!  I love this news, how about you?

No comments: