Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Heat review; a hilarious cop comedy


A few Summers ago, I was in love with Bridesmaids.  It was a movie with an all female cast, that had me rolling with laughter.  The director?  Paul Feig.  He lead a cast of women, including Melissa McCarthy, towards box office gold.  Even landing McCarthy an Oscar nomination.  Fast forward 2 years, Feig and McCarthy reunite!  The Heat stars McCarthy as a local Boston cop, along side Sandra Bullock.  Bullock plays an FBI agent and she's teamed up with McCarthy to prove she can work with others.  On-screen chemistry explodes in this hilarious film.  Let's go!


What I liked about the film:
The Actors/Chemistry
You know, I always talk about chemistry in films.  And to me, it's such an important thing to have between actors.  McCarthy and Bullock are dynamite on-screen!  They play such polar opposites but it never felt forced.  It felt like these were two women that came together under extreme circumstances and are now forced to work with each other.  Bullock plays a stuffed shirt FBI agent, while McCarthy plays a short-tempered local cop.  And their scenes are hilarious.  I honestly kept looking forward to the next time the pair were going to be on screen.

I think it's also important to note that, because of the two terrific leads, the movie carries some emotional weight.  These women are the way that they are for reasons that far preceded the events of this film.  And the actors gave us a peak into these women's history, I really enjoyed that.  The soft, emotional scenes didn't feel fabricated, they felt authentic to me.  When the women begin to respect one another, it's not instantaneous or in your face.  It's subtle and authentic.  I really couldn't get enough of these two funny ladies.

There were some nice supporting actor performances as well.  Believe it or not, Marlon Wayans plays a pretty straight forward character, unlike his usual comedic roles.  Michael Rapaport plays McCarthy's brother and they have some hilarious scenes together.

The Director
Paul Feig has such a knack for comedy.  He just knows how to let the actors do their thing.  And what I mean by that is, improv.  Katie Dippold wrote a decent enough script for our two leads, but Feig obviously gave them the creative freedom to improv some memorable scenes.  I loved this.  McCarthy could probably riff for hours if Feig let her.  And there are some scenes where it's very apparent there was very little coming from the actors that was in a script.  But believe it or not, he never lets them stray too far, as to take the audience out of the scene.  He understand actors, and he understands comedic timing, just awesome work!


What I didn't like about the film:
The Story/Villain
The story is silly.  The villain is terrible.  And it's ok!  I was more than willing to look past these two negatives when it came to seeing McCarthy and Bullock go at it.  But I can't get past the fact that the story and villain are just plain stupid.  It all goes wrong in the second act where too many extremes take place; just so we can keep the main characters busy and 'involved' in the case.  I'm ok with this, really, but I'd like to think I know a thing or two about movies, and this story was just silly.


The Verdict:
Can't Wait for the Blu-Ray
I really really enjoyed this film.  I was laughing so hard my wife was sending me forearm shivers to keep me quite.  I was in a theater packed with people and they all seemed to agree with my feelings; often times the theater roared with laughter.  So loud sometimes that I couldn't hear the next few lines of dialogue.  And that's what I love about the movie going experience.  When you watch a movie like The Heat, and the audience is that into it, the energy is contagious.  Loved the actors, ignored the silly story, and I can't wait for the Blu-Ray so I can watch this movie over and over again.

1 comment:

dtmmr.com said...

Nice review Tony. Not drop-dead hilarious, but still pretty funny for what it was.