Monday, July 1, 2013

Ride Along, Escape Plan, Thanks for Sharing, jOBS and The Spectacular Now trailers


I just have not been as active on the blog as I'd like to be.  So excuse the laziness of creating separate posts.  But today I went on a trailer watching binge, and found 5 that I'd like to share with you.  They are in no particular order.  Feel free to watch the trailers and then my thoughts after.


Did you like that?  It's only a teaser for a 2014 release, but I can't wait to see this movie.  I am not the biggest fan of Ice Cube, but I think Kevin Hart is one of the most underrated comedians today.  He doesn't get too many leading roles, and it's a shame.  I love this guy.  The movie definitely feels like the polar opposite of Training Day, and that's not a bad thing.  I hope future trailers show us more, while leaving something for the release.  


These guys just keep going and going.  Stallone and Schwarzenegger don't look like they ever want to stop making movies.  And I ask you... would that be such a bad thing?  I have a lot of respect for these guys.  They're trying to make entertaining movies, that don't take themselves too seriously.  And I feel like they know they're never going to make Oscar caliber films, but they're entertaining as hell.  Escape Plan looks like a lot of fun.  And I can't wait to see what Jim Caviezel does with his role as the warden.  I'm in.  


I've been pretty rough on Mark Ruffalo the past few years.  I felt his performances in Now You See Me and The Kids Are All Right were sub-par.  But I loved this trailer.  He's playing a guy that is obviously going through some things that not many people can relate to, including new girlfriend Gwyneth Paltrow.  But what I loved most about the trailer was the look at the supporting characters.  I can't wait to see what comes of the Pink and Josh Gad characters.  I really enjoyed this trailer and look forward to seeing the film.


Unfortunatly, this is a movie people wanted to hate from the day it was announced.  And even more so, since it was announced that Ashton Kutcher would be playing the man that changed the world, Steve Jobs.  And to be honest with you, I'm not sure why people want to hate this movie.  I don't know much of anything about Steve Jobs, outside of what has become 'common knowledge' in our society.  I know about he and his partner, Steve Wozniak, started the company in a garage (the partner being played by Josh Gad).  I know he was forced out of the company, only to make a triumphant return a decade later.  As you can see in the trailer, those events are obviously going to be touched upon, but so too are other less famous myths about the man.  I don't think Kutcher is going to win any bio-pic Oscars, ala Jamie Foxx or Daniel Day-Lewis; but I think he'll do a fine job... no pun intended.  


I know it's just a trailer, but for whatever reason, I really connected with this film.  I had an incredible time in High School.  Lots of fun, lots of stress, and every other experience a teenager should go through during their formative years.  After The Descendants, I have become a huge fan of Shailene Woodley, and she looks like she's going to hit a homerun in this one.  I've never seen anything the main actor, Miles Teller, has done.  And based on the trailer, he's going to have to dig deep for this film.  I really like the tone and cinemotography presented in the trailer.  I think this will be a definite date night film with my wife.

So there you have it.  5 movie trailers, 5 opinions.  Now what do you think?  Am I way off on my assessments?  Would you go see these films?  Let me know.

No comments: