Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Ben Affleck cast as Batman


Let me start this by saying, that I wasn't always a fan of Ben Affleck.  For a long time, I thought he was the less talented half of the Damon/Affleck duo.  Even in Good Will Hunting, I thought Matt Damon was the showstopper.  That being said, something happened on July 15th, 2010.  A pretty obscure date right?  Well, for me, that was the day I saw the trailer for The Town, for the first time.  An adult themed crime drama, that was both action packed, and showcased riveting performances.  I fell in love with the movie, to say the least.  And then, the Oscar winning film, Argo, happened.  I loved that movie as well, and officially became a Ben Affleck fan.  A few days ago, it was announced that he has been cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman in the upcoming sequel to Man of Steel.

There is a lot of hate being thrown at Ben Affleck, as well as Warner Brothers.  And I really don't understand why.  I do have an idea why though.  I think it's because people don't understand what it takes to make a movie.  Seriously.  No one actor, no one person, can make or break a movie.  There are too many pieces to the puzzle of filmmaking for Ben Affleck to have 'ruined' Daredevil.  Or any other film for that matter.  Sure, he wasn't a very good actor when he started, but now he is.  And now, he's an even better filmmaker than he is an actor.  So he knows what it takes to make a great film.

Zack Snyder will be directing the Man of Steel sequel, rumored to be titled Batman vs. Superman.  And this could prove even more helpful for Affleck.  He has less of the burden on his shoulders now.  He has to build up his body, as he did in The Town, and be ready to give us a NEW take on the caped crusader.  You see, he can't imitate the Batmen before him.  He can't pretend to be Michael Keaton or Christian Bale.  He'll need to make this take on the character, his own.  And THAT is the difficult part in my opinion.

An unknown fan created this poster
It's an another interesting point, what is Batman like in this universe that Snyder has created?  I've read all over that he will not be nearly as dark and brooding as Bale was in The Dark Knight trilogy.  And I'm ok with that.  As much as I am obsessed with the Christopher Nolan directed trilogy, I'm ok with change.  I'm ok with seeing a different take on the character.  That's what makes Batman, and Bruce Wayne, such compelling characters.  They can be viewed and portrayed in so many different ways.  Think of all the actors that have played the character, no two actors turned in similar performances.  Of course there were some better than others, but all different.  And if this is a 'lighter' version of Batman, let's just hope he's not the campy mess that was in Batman & Robin.  I doubt Snyder and company will let that happen, but I'm just sayin'.

This Batman will be an older version of the character, and Affleck is 41 years old.  A great match against Henry Cavill, aka Superman.  Snyder and his team have hinted the story will take from Frank Miller's ground breaking graphic novel, The Dark Knight Returns.  It's a world where Batman has been fighting crime for some time now.  And being as experienced as he is, he has a few tricks up his sleeve to battle the last son of Krypton.

To wrap this up, I think Affleck will do great.  He has the look.  He has the build.  He is a better actor now than even 5 years ago.  He has the charm to play Bruce Wayne, but the inner angst to play Batman.  He has the jaw line too!  Warner Brothers did the right thing here.  Keep their boy happy, in-house, and make sure he's locked in for multiple movies.  As a fan of cinema, I am interested to see what he can do with the character.  As a fanboy, I had a nerdgasm when I read the news.  2015 can't come soon enough!

No comments: