Sunday, August 4, 2013

Thoughts on the Batman vs. Superman, The Flash and Justice League movie news


So my life has been pretty busy lately, and I'm not updating the blog NEARLY as much as I'd like to.  But, hey, I have to make a living to support my movie fix.  So today I figured I'd post my thoughts on a few announcements made at Comic-Con in San Diego last month.  Let's go!

Batman vs. Superman and Beyond
The mother of all announcements made at Comic-Con, was that of a Batman and Superman movie.  Yep, two of the most popular superheroes in the world, will finally share the same screen in a live-action blockbuster.  It is the official sequel to Man of Steel, which has done very well for Warner Brothers.  Man of Steel director, Zack Snyder, will direct the superhero team up film, which will be released in 2015.  The writer of Man of Steel, David S. Goyer, will return to write the script alongside Snyder.  Christopher Nolan will return as an Executive Producer on the film.

From Artgerm user via DeviantArt
I posted that a Man of Steel sequel was green lit, but I had no idea this was what the studio had in mind.  There were multiple reports that if Man of Steel did well, Warner Brothers would open up the DC Universe for other films.  It has been reported that the team up film will take from Frank Miller's classic story, The Dark Knight Returns.  It involves an older Batman on the opposite side of the political fence, from Superman.  This could be either a great creative endeavor, or a money grab crapfest.  I hope it's the former.

As if that wasn't enough, there were more geek-out announcements made by DC Comics and Warner Brothers.  In 2016, a stand alone The Flash film will be released.  No other details were announced as far as director, casting or otherwise.  And, ready for this, a Justice League film is officially official.  2017 will be the year.  Finally, after one missed opportunity after another, Justice League is really happening.  

The Flash film is perhaps the most interesting announcement to me.  I would have guessed a stand along Wonder Woman film before a Flash film.  I guess there's enough interest in the character, that WB feels this will be a successful franchise.  I'm interested in seeing how a 'grounded' Flash film would work.  We'll see how it goes.  And my vote is for Ryan Gosling to star.

Last but not least is the Justice League film.  After trying to get the project off the ground, multiple times, the DC Comic's supergroup, will finally get a film.  It appears as though Warner Brothers is taking the Marvel approach by creating stand alone films, that lead into one mega blockbuster.  There are more questions than answers at this point.  Will they reboot the Green Lantern franchise after the abysmal Ryan Reynolds film?  Are other stand alone films (i.e. Aquaman) in the works?  Will Snyder direct the film?  The wait is painful, but it's all part of the fanboy experience.  Looking forward to DC finally catching up with Marvel, as far as its movies are concerned.

No comments: