Saturday, September 28, 2013

Need for Speed trailer starring Aaron Paul


I'm a huge fan of the TV series, Breaking Bad, starring Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul.  The series finale is tomorrow, and like so many fans, I can't wait to see what happens to our main characters.  Before watching the show, I'd never seen Paul in anything else.  So the TV show is really all I know of his work, and that's just fine!  Because he is spectacular in the role.  That being said, the actor is changing gears (see what I did there?).  

Paul is headed for the big screen, in the video game adaptation, Need for Speed.  The film is directed by Scott Waugh, who brought us Act of Valor last year.  The film also stars Dakota Johnson, who was just cast in the highly anticipated 50 Shades of Grey film.  The cast is rounded out by Michael Keaton and Dominic Cooper.  Check out the trailer below and see my thoughts after.


It looks interesting, I'll give them that.  I am worried that it looks an awful lot like another popular car-themed movie franchise.  No need to state the obvious.  So if the racing and the action set pieces are going to be similar to a competitor, what else can differentiate the film?  Characters!  And that's where you can see Paul's terrific acting skills will help the film.  The trailer doesn't give much away, but it does show us there will be some character development involved.  The voice over technique is popular in trailers, but often has us wondering where it fits in the movie.  Overall I think the trailer did its job and makes me want to see the film when it is released, March 14th, 2013.  

No comments: