Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles trailer and posters


Can you believe it's been 24 years since the first live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film was released?  The turtles in a half-shell are back, in an all new reboot.  This film is being directed by Jonathan Liebesman (Wrath of the Titans).  The film is being produced by mega-blockbuster director, Michael Bay.  Megan Fox, William Fichtner and Will Arnett fill in the human roles in the film.  Check out the trailer below, as well as my thoughts after.


Hmm.  It certainly has Michael Bay written all over it doesn't it?  And that's not always a good thing.  It's all cg, and it's obvious.  The trailer is only a minute and a half long and still manages to sport a 'hero pose' from Leonardo, the leader of the group.  These turtles are not martial artists in suits this time around, and I think that takes away from the film.  There was a certain charm to seeing the turtles be able to touch and interact with other actors on screen, and their environments.  That charm will most certainly be lost here.

The turtles also have a new origin story in this film, compared to previous incarnations on screen and in the comics.  That point irked a lot of fans, but not me.  I'm ok with filmmakers taking a few liberties when making their films.  Again, I'm not completely sold on this movie yet.  But I should also be honest with myself and admit it may be because of my love for the 1990 film.  Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing more from this film.  It's slated for release August 8th.

No comments: